Sorts mail for delivery, and delivers mail along an established route by vehicle or on foot.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Obtains signed receipts for registered, certified, and insured mail; collects associated charges; and completes any necessary paperwork.
- Sorts mail for delivery, arranging it in delivery sequence.
- Delivers mail to residences and business establishments along specified routes by walking and/or driving, using a combination of satchels, carts, cars, and small trucks.
- Returns to the post office with mail collected from homes, businesses, and public mailboxes.
- Turns in money and receipts collected along mail routes.
- Signs for cash-on-delivery and registered mail before leaving the post office.
- Records address changes and redirects mail for those addresses.
- Holds mail for customers who are away from delivery locations.
- Bundles mail in preparation for delivery or transportation to relay boxes.
- Leaves notices telling patrons where to collect mail that could not be delivered.