Applies engineering theory and principles to problems of industrial layout or manufacturing production, usually under the direction of engineering staff. May perform time and motion studies on worker operations in a variety of industries for purposes such as establishing standard production rates or improving efficiency.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests selected products at specified stages in the production process for performance characteristics or adherence to specifications.
- Compiles and evaluates statistical data to determine and maintain quality and reliability of products.
- Studies time, motion, methods, or speed involved in maintenance, production, or other operations to establish standard production rate or improve efficiency.
- Reads worker logs, product processing sheets, or specification sheets to verify that records adhere to quality assurance specifications.
- Verifies that equipment is being operated and maintained according to quality assurance standards by observing worker performance.
- Aids in planning work assignments in accordance with worker performance, machine capacity, production schedules, or anticipated delays.
- Evaluates industrial operations for compliance with permits or regulations related to the generation, storage, treatment, transportation, or disposal of hazardous materials or waste.