Plans, directs, or coordinates activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, mathematics, statistics, and research and development in these fields.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Natural Resource Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Hires, supervises, or evaluates engineers, technicians, researchers, or other staff.
- Designs or coordinates successive phases of problem analysis, solution proposals, or testing.
- Plans or directs research, development, or production activities.
- Reviews project activities and prepares and reviews research, testing, or operational reports.
- Confers with scientists, engineers, regulators, or others to plan or review projects or to provide technical assistance.
- Develops client relationships and communicates with clients to explain proposals, present research findings, establish specifications, or discuss project status.
- Determines scientific or technical goals within broad outlines provided by top management and makes detailed plans to accomplish these goals.
- Prepares project proposals.
- Develops or implements policies, standards, or procedures for the architectural, scientific, or technical work performed to ensure regulatory compliance or operations enhancement.
- Recruits personnel or oversees the development or maintenance of staff competence.