Assists biological and medical scientists in laboratories. Sets up, operates, and maintains laboratory instruments and equipment, monitors experiments, makes observations, and calculates and records results. May analyze organic substances, such as blood, food, and drugs.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Plant Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Conducts research or assists in the conduct of research, including the collection of information and samples, such as blood, water, soil, plants and animals.
- Uses computers, computer-interfaced equipment, robotics or high-technology industrial applications to perform work duties.
- Monitors and observes experiments, recording production and test data for evaluation by research personnel.
- Analyzes experimental data and interprets results to write reports and summaries of findings.
- Provides technical support and services for scientists and engineers working in fields such as agriculture, environmental science, resource management, biology, and health sciences.
- Keeps detailed logs of all work-related activities.
- Inputs data into databases.
- Isolates, identifies and prepares specimens for examination.
- Sets up, adjusts, calibrates, cleans, maintains, and troubleshoots laboratory and field equipment.
- Cleans, maintains and prepares supplies and work areas.