About This Career
Conducts research dealing with the understanding of human diseases and the improvement of human health. Engages in clinical investigation, research and development, or other related activities.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Biotechnology Research and Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Follows strict safety procedures when handling toxic materials to avoid contamination.
- Evaluates effects of drugs, gases, pesticides, parasites, and microorganisms at various levels.
- Plans and directs studies to investigate human or animal disease, preventive methods, and treatments for disease.
- Prepares and analyzes organ, tissue, and cell samples to identify toxicity, bacteria, or microorganisms or to study cell structure.
- Conducts research to develop methodologies, instrumentation, and procedures for medical application, analyzing data and presenting findings to the scientific audience and general public.
- Teaches principles of medicine and medical and laboratory procedures to physicians, residents, students, and technicians.
- Writes and publishes articles in scientific journals.
- Writes applications for research grants.
- Standardizes drug dosages, methods of immunization, and procedures for manufacture of drugs and medicinal compounds.
- Studies animal and human health and physiological processes.