About This Career
Administers, tests, and implements computer databases, applying knowledge of database management systems. Coordinates changes to computer databases. Identifies, investigates, and resolves database performance issues, database capacity, and database scalability. May plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard computer databases.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Network Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests programs or databases, corrects errors, and makes necessary modifications.
- Plans, coordinates, and implements security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Modifies existing databases and database management systems or directs programmers and analysts to make changes.
- Specifies users and user access levels for each segment of database.
- Writes and codes logical and physical database descriptions and specifies identifiers of database to management system, or directs others in coding descriptions.
- Develops standards and guidelines for the use and acquisition of software and to protect vulnerable information.
- Reviews procedures in database management system manuals to make changes to database.
- Revises company definition of data as defined in data dictionary.
- Trains users and answers questions.
- Reviews workflow charts developed by programmer analyst to understand tasks computer will perform, such as updating records.