Performs engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, and water and sewage systems.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Design/Pre-Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Directs engineering activities, ensuring compliance with environmental, safety, or other governmental regulations.
- Manages and directs the construction, operations, or maintenance activities at project site.
- Inspects project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety or sanitation standards.
- Computes load and grade requirements, water flow rates, or material stress factors to determine design specifications.
- Plans and designs transportation or hydraulic systems or structures, using computer-assisted design or drawing tools.
- Provides technical advice to industrial or managerial personnel regarding design, construction, program modifications, or structural repairs.
- Analyzes survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, or other topographical or geologic data.
- Directs or participates in surveying to lay out installations or establish reference points, grades, or elevations to guide construction.
- Estimates quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine project feasibility.
- Prepares or presents public reports on topics such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, or property and right-of-way descriptions.