Performs engineering duties in planning, designing and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures and facilities. May work on roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, water and sewage systems, or waste disposal units. May be architectural, structural, traffic, ocean, geo-technical or other kind of engineer.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Design/Pre-Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects project sites to monitor progress and ensures conformance to design specifications and safety or sanitation standards.
- Computes load and grade requirements, water flow rates, or material stress factors to determine design specifications.
- Provides technical advice to industrial or managerial personnel regarding design, construction, or program modifications or structural repairs.
- Tests soils or materials to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel.
- Manages and directs the construction, operations, or maintenance activities at project site.
- Directs or participates in surveying to lay out installations or establish reference points, grades, or elevations to guide construction.
- Estimates quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine project feasibility.
- Plans and designs transportation or hydraulic systems or structures using computer assisted design or drawing tools.
- Prepares or presents public reports on topics such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, or property and right-of-way descriptions.
- Designs energy efficient or environmentally sound civil structures.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.