Designs, develops, or evaluates energy-related projects or programs to reduce energy costs or improve energy efficiency during the designing, building, or remodeling stages of construction. May specialize in electrical systems; heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems; green buildings; lighting; air quality; or energy procurement.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Engineering and Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Identifies and recommends energy savings strategies to achieve more energy-efficient operation.
- Conducts energy audits to evaluate energy use and to identify conservation and cost reduction measures.
- Monitors and analyzes energy consumption.
- Monitors energy related design or construction issues, such as energy engineering, energy management, or sustainable design.
- Inspects or monitors energy systems, including heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) or daylighting systems to determine energy use or potential energy savings.
- Advises clients or colleagues on topics such as climate control systems, energy modeling, data logging, sustainable design, or energy auditing.
- Analyzes, interprets, or creates graphical representations of energy data, using engineering software.
- Collects data for energy conservation analyses, using jobsite observation, field inspections, or sub-metering.
- Verifies energy bills and meter readings.
- Manages the development, design, or construction of energy conservation projects to ensure acceptability of budgets and time lines, conformance to federal and state laws, or adherence to approved specifications.