About This Career
Designs, integrates, or improves manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Engineering and Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Troubleshoots new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes.
- Investigates or resolves operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Identifies opportunities or implements changes to improve manufacturing processes or products or to reduce costs, using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Applies continuous improvement methods, such as lean manufacturing, to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, or cost-effectiveness.
- Provides technical expertise or support related to manufacturing.
- Incorporates new manufacturing methods or processes to improve existing operations.
- Reviews product designs for manufacturability or completeness.
- Determines root causes of failures or recommends changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods, using statistical procedures.
- Prepares reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Designs layout of equipment or workspaces to achieve maximum efficiency.