Designs, develops, or supervises the production of materials, devices, or systems of unique molecular or macromolecular composition, applying principles of nanoscale physics and electrical, chemical, or biological engineering.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Engineering and Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Writes proposals to secure external funding or to partner with other companies.
- Synthesizes, processes, or characterizes nanomaterials, using advanced tools or techniques.
- Supervises technologists or technicians engaged in nanotechnology research or production.
- Prepares reports, delivers presentations, or participates in program review activities to communicate engineering results or recommendations.
- Provides scientific or technical guidance or expertise to scientists, engineers, technologists, technicians, or others, using knowledge of chemical, analytical, or biological processes as applied to micro and nanoscale systems.
- Conducts research related to a range of nanotechnology topics, such as packaging, heat transfer, fluorescence detection, nanoparticle dispersion, hybrid systems, liquid systems, nanocomposites, nanofabrication, optoelectronics, or nanolithography.
- Identifies new applications for existing nanotechnologies.
- Designs or conducts tests of new nanotechnology products, processes, or systems.
- Develops processes or identifies equipment needed for pilot or commercial nanoscale scale production.
- Generates high-resolution images or measures force-distance curves, using techniques such as atomic force microscopy.