Devises methods to improve oil and gas extraction and production and determines the need for new or modified tool designs. Oversees drilling and offers technical advice.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Engineering and Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Specifies and supervises well modification and stimulation programs to maximize oil and gas recovery.
- Monitors production rates, and plans rework processes to improve production.
- Maintains records of drilling and production operations.
- Analyzes data to recommend placement of wells and supplementary processes to enhance production.
- Assists engineering and other personnel to solve operating problems.
- Directs and monitors the completion and evaluation of wells, well testing, or well surveys.
- Develops plans for oil and gas field drilling, and for product recovery and treatment.
- Assesses costs and estimates the production capabilities and economic value of oil and gas wells, to evaluate the economic viability of potential drilling sites.
- Confers with scientific, engineering, and technical personnel to resolve design, research, and testing problems.
- Interprets drilling and testing information for personnel.