Assembles, installs, or repairs pipes, fittings, or fixtures of heating, water, or drainage systems, according to specifications or plumbing codes.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Assembles pipe sections, tubing, or fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing, or welding equipment.
- Installs pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances such as dishwashers or water heaters, or fixtures such as sinks or toilets, using hand or power tools.
- Keeps records of work assignments.
- Fills pipes or plumbing fixtures with water or air and observes pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks.
- Directs helpers engaged in pipe cutting, preassembly, or installation of plumbing systems or components.
- Maintains or repairs plumbing by replacing defective washers, replacing or mending broken pipes, or opening clogged drains.
- Locates and marks the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes, or fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as rulers or levels.
- Measures, cuts, threads, or bends pipe to required angle, using hand or power tools or machines, such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading machines, or pipe-bending machines.
- Reviews blueprints, building codes, or specifications to determine work details or procedures.
- Anchors steel supports from ceiling joists to hold pipes in place.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.