Helps plumbers, pipefitters, steamfitters, or pipelayers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Measures, cuts, threads and assembles new pipe, placing the assembled pipe in hangers or other supports.
- Cuts or drills holes in walls or floors to accommodate the passage of pipes.
- Performs rough-ins, repairs and replaces fixtures and water heaters, and locates, repairs, or removes leaking or broken pipes.
- Assists pipe fitters in the layout, assembly, and installation of piping for air, ammonia, gas, and water systems.
- Cuts pipe and lifts up to fitters.
- Fits or assists in fitting valves, couplings, or assemblies to tanks, pumps, or systems, using hand tools.
- Requisitions tools and equipment, selects type and size of pipe, and collects and transports materials and equipment to work site.
- Mounts brackets and hangers on walls and ceilings to hold pipes, and sets sleeves or inserts to provide support for pipes.
- Excavates and grades ditches, and lays and joins pipe for water and sewer service.
- Disassembles and removes damaged or worn pipe.