Lays out, assembles, installs, and maintains pipe systems, pipe supports, and related hydraulic and pneumatic equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating, sprinkling, and industrial production and processing systems.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cuts, threads, or hammers pipes to specifications, using tools such as saws, cutting torches, pipe threaders, or pipe benders.
- Lays out full scale drawings of pipe systems, supports, or related equipment, according to blueprints.
- Assembles or secures pipes, tubes, fittings, or related equipment, according to specifications, by welding, brazing, cementing, soldering, or threading joints.
- Measures and marks pipes for cutting or threading.
- Inspects, examines, or tests installed systems or pipe lines, using pressure gauge, hydrostatic testing, observation, or other methods.
- Plans pipe system layout, installation, or repair, according to specifications.
- Attaches pipes to walls, structures, or fixtures, such as radiators or tanks, using brackets, clamps, tools, or welding equipment.
- Modifies, cleans, or maintains pipe systems, units, fittings, or related machines or equipment, using hand or power tools.
- Selects pipe sizes, types, or related materials, such as supports, hangers, or hydraulic cylinders, according to specifications.
- Cuts or bores holes in structures, such as bulkheads, decks, walls, or mains, prior to pipe installation, using hand or power tools.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.