Applies theories and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing the construction and maintenance of structures and facilities, under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Design/Pre-Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Drafts detailed dimensional drawings and designs layouts for projects and to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Calculates dimensions, square footage, profile and component specifications, and material quantities using calculator or computer.
- Reads and reviews project blueprints and structural specifications to determine dimensions of structure or system and material requirements.
- Confers with supervisor to determine project details such as plan preparation, acceptance testing, and evaluation of field conditions.
- Inspects project site and evaluates contractor work to detect design malfunctions and ensure conformance to design specifications and applicable codes.
- Develops plans and estimates costs for installation of systems, utilization of facilities, or construction of structures.
- Prepares reports and documents project activities and data.
- Responds to public suggestions and complaints.
- Reports maintenance problems occurring at project site to supervisor and negotiates changes to resolve system conflicts.
- Evaluates facility to determine suitability for occupancy and square footage availability.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.