Applies theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Design/Pre-Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Calculates dimensions, square footage, profile and component specifications, and material quantities, using calculator or computer.
- Reads and reviews project blueprints and structural specifications to determine dimensions of structure or system and material requirements.
- Drafts detailed dimensional drawings and designs layouts for projects to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Confers with supervisor to determine project details such as plan preparation, acceptance testing, and evaluation of field conditions.
- Analyzes proposed site factors and designs maps, graphs, tracings, and diagrams to illustrate findings.
- Prepares reports and documents project activities and data.
- Reports maintenance problems occurring at project site to supervisor and negotiates changes to resolve system conflicts.
- Inspects project site and evaluates contractor work to detect design malfunctions and ensures conformance to design specifications and applicable codes.
- Conducts materials test and analysis, using tools and equipment and applying engineering knowledge.
- Develops plans and estimates costs for installation of systems, utilization of facilities, or construction of structures.