Sells or solicits advertising space, time, or media in publications, signage, TV, radio, or the Internet. Includes individuals who obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailers to use sales promotion display items.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Professional Sales pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares and delivers sales presentations to new and existing customers to sell new advertising programs and to protect and increase existing advertising.
- Maintains assigned account bases while developing new accounts.
- Provides clients with estimates of the costs of advertising products or services.
- Locates and contacts potential clients to offer advertising services.
- Explains to customers how specific types of advertising will help promote their products or services in the most effective way possible.
- Obtains and studies information about clients' products, needs, problems, advertising history, and business practices to offer effective sales presentations and appropriate product assistance.
- Prepares promotional plans, sales literature, media kits, and sales contracts, using computer.
- Processes all correspondence and paperwork related to accounts.
- Draws up contracts for advertising work and collects payments due.
- Delivers advertising or illustration proofs to customers for approval.