Prepares detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Develops detailed design drawings and specifications for mechanical equipment, dies, tools, and controls, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment.
- Produces three-dimensional models, using computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Lays out and draws schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems, and machines.
- Modifies and revises designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
- Reviews and analyzes specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas, and related data to assess factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
- Checks dimensions of materials to be used and assigns numbers to the materials.
- Designs scale or full-size blueprints of specialty items, such as furniture and automobile body or chassis components.
- Computes mathematical formulas to develop and design detailed specifications for components or machinery, using computer-assisted equipment.
- Coordinates with and consult other workers to design, lay out, or detail components and systems and to resolve design or other problems.
- Confers with customer representatives to review schematics and answers questions pertaining to installation of systems.