Applies theory and principles of mechanical engineering to modify, develop, test, or calibrate machinery and equipment under direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Calculates required capacities for equipment of proposed system to obtain specified performance and submit data to engineering personnel for approval.
- Reviews project instructions and blueprints to ascertain test specifications, procedures, and objectives, and test nature of technical problems such as redesign.
- Drafts detail drawing or sketch for drafting room completion or to request parts fabrication by machine, sheet or wood shops.
- Analyzes test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives, and modifies or adjusts equipment to meet specifications.
- Records test procedures and results, numerical and graphical data, and recommendations for changes in product or test methods.
- Reads dials and meters to determine amperage, voltage, electrical output and input at specific operating temperature to analyze parts performance.
- Reviews project instructions and specifications to identify, modify and plan requirements fabrication, assembly and testing.
- Sets up and conducts tests of complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate proposals for improving equipment performance.
- Sets up prototype and test apparatus and operates test controlling equipment to observe and record prototype test results.
- Evaluates tool drawing designs by measuring drawing dimensions and comparing with original specifications for form and function using engineering skills.