About This Career
Assists engineers in determining the practicality of proposed product design changes and plans and carries out tests on experimental test devices or equipment for performance, durability, or efficiency.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Documents test results, using cameras, spreadsheets, documents, or other tools.
- Sets up mechanical, hydraulic, or electric test equipment in accordance with engineering specifications, standards, or test procedures.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, schematics, work specifications, drawings, or charts.
- Inspects or tests parts to determine nature or cause of defects or malfunctions.
- Monitors computer-controlled test equipment, according to written or verbal instructions.
- Analyzes test data for automotive systems, subsystems, or component parts.
- Installs equipment, such as instrumentation, test equipment, engines, or aftermarket products, to ensure proper interfaces.
- Performs or executes manual or automated tests of automotive system or component performance, efficiency, or durability.
- Maintains test equipment in operational condition by performing routine maintenance or making minor repairs or adjustments as needed.
- Analyzes performance of vehicles or components that have been redesigned to increase fuel efficiency, such as camless or dual-clutch engines or alternative types of air-conditioning systems.