Repairs only one system or component on a vehicle, such as brakes, suspension, or radiator.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Facility and Mobile Equipment Maintenance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Test drives vehicles and tests components and systems, using equipment such as infrared engine analyzers, compression gauges, and computerized diagnostic devices.
- Inspects vehicles for damage and records findings so that necessary repairs can be made.
- Tests and adjusts repaired systems to meet manufacturers' performance specifications.
- Repairs, relines, replaces, and adjusts brakes.
- Reviews work orders and discusses work with supervisors.
- Estimates costs of vehicle repair.
- Troubleshoots fuel, ignition, and emissions control systems, using electronic testing equipment.
- Confers with customers to obtain descriptions of vehicle problems and to discuss work to be performed and future repair requirements.
- Aligns vehicles' front ends.
- Tests electronic computer components in automobiles to ensure proper operation.