About This Career
Applies theory and principles of mechanical engineering to modify, develop, test, or adjust machinery and equipment under direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Assembles or disassembles complex mechanical systems.
- Interprets engineering sketches, specifications, or drawings.
- Calculates required capacities for equipment of proposed system to obtain specified performance and submits data to engineering personnel for approval.
- Reviews project instructions and blueprints to ascertain test specifications, procedures, and objectives, and test nature of technical problems such as redesign.
- Provides technical support to other employees regarding mechanical design, fabrication, testing, or documentation.
- Tests machines, components, materials, or products to determine characteristics such as performance, strength, or response to stress.
- Drafts detail drawing or sketch for drafting room completion or to request parts fabrication by machine, sheet or wood shops.
- Analyzes test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives, and modifies or adjusts equipment to meet specifications.
- Records test procedures and results, numerical and graphical data, and recommendations for changes in product or test methods.
- Prepares specifications, designs, or sketches for machines, components, or systems related to the generation, transmission, or use of mechanical or fluid energy.