Receives and processes incoming orders for materials, merchandise, classified ads, or services such as repairs, installations, or rental of facilities. Generally receives orders via mail, phone, fax, or other electronic means. Duties include informing customers of receipt, prices, shipping dates, and delays; preparing contracts; and handling complaints.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Obtains customers' names, addresses, and billing information, product numbers, and specifications of items to be purchased, and enters this information on order forms.
- Prepares invoices, shipping documents, and contracts.
- Informs customers by mail or telephone of order information, such as unit prices, shipping dates, and any anticipated delays.
- Receives and responds to customer complaints.
- Verifies customer and order information for correctness, checking it against previously obtained information as necessary.
- Directs specified departments or units to prepare and ship orders to designated locations.
- Checks inventory records to determine availability of requested merchandise.
- Reviews orders for completeness according to reporting procedures and forwards incomplete orders for further processing.
- Attempts to sell additional merchandise or services to prospective or current customers by telephone or through visits.
- Files copies of orders received, or posts orders on records.